What is McMMO?
It adds skills and leveling similar to traditional MMORPGs (think Runescape/Ultima Online/EverQuest). You increase your skills through practice, which in turn leads to rewards. Some of the skills include mining, fishing, archery, and acrobatics.
- 1 Getting Started with the Bear Nation Changes
- 2 Commands
- 3 Skills
- 4 Resetting your Skill Levels
Getting Started with the Bear Nation Changes
Getting started with McMMO is easy. Just start playing survival. As you perform various tasks you will generate skill specific XP that will lead to gaining levels in the skills you use the most. Of course this is a modified version of McMMO.
Why the changes? Standard McMMO is very over powered at high levels. Since Bear Nation tried to keep a more vanilla survival feel, the decision was made to limit the benefits added by McMMO while increasing the difficulty of achieving those that remain.
What does that mean to me? First, if you have ever played on an McMMO server before you will notice that leveling is really slow. The XP gain for many tasks has been reduced, while the requirements to gain levels have been significantly increased. In addition, the level cap has been set to 100 for each skill instead of 1000. Each level you gain takes more work and functions as 10 standard levels. Don't worry though, skill unlocks have been likewise reduced! If standard McMMO unlocked a skill at 50, you only need 5 Bear Nation levels to unlock it. Of course this means that skills that unlocked at odd levels like 32 will not become available until you reach the next level past where they would have unlocked. Parties, Party Chat and Party TPs have also been disabled.
Anything else I should be aware of? With the level cap set to 100 skills that increased your % chance of something based on your level are capped much lower than the would have been, this is intentional. Further, some skill benefits have been further nerfed or removed entirely for being too powerful. Bear Nation reserves the right to further modify McMMO at any time, up to and including resetting all McMMO stats as needed to keep Bear Nation a balanced SMP.
Does McMMO work in the Minigame World? Nope. You cannot gain XP or use your skills in any of the minigames to keep everyone on a level playing field.
This is a list of handy Commands relating to McMMO:
- /mcstats - This lets you view all of you main stats
- /mcrank - This shows you each of your skills based on your rank compared to other players on the server
- /mctop - Shows the top 10 players (by Power Level)
- /mctop <skillname> - Shows the top 10 players for the specified skill
- /<skillname> - Shows the scoreboard for the current skill, along with more detailed information about your current bonuses
- /<skillname> ? [page] - shows help about the current skill
- /mcscorboard keep - this locks the scoreboard up while it is visible. Use one of the previous commands first, then use this command to keep the scoreboard up until you use /mcscoreboard clear or issue another command that changes the scoreboard. You can also use the shortened form: /mcsbk & /mcsbc
There are 13 standard skills and 3 "child skills" broken down into two main categories:
- Combat Skills
- Non-Combat Skills
- Child Skills
- Power Level
Read below to find out more about these skills, how they level and what they do for you. Many of them also have so called right click abilities that you can activate once every few minuets that will be discussed.
This is an overview only, more information can be found at The Offical McMMO Wiki but remember that Bear Nation runs a customized version and not everything you find on the official wiki will work on Bear Nation.
All Combat skills level the same way- by dealing damage to mobs with the corresponding weapon. The more damage you deal, the more XP you get, and different mobs have different multipliers- dangerous mobs like Endermen help you level faster. Please note that Mobs that are spawned from a mob spawner do NOT give you McMMO XP.
Since McMMO does not currently work in the mini-game world, and PVP is off in the main world, no info on PVP abilities are listed here unless they also work on mobs.
How to level: Use your Bow and Arrow to deal damage to mobs.
- Skill Shot - % Chance to do bonus Damage, increases with level.
- Arrow Retrieval - % chance to reclaim some of your arrows from the mobs you kill
Right click ability: None.
How to level: Use your Axe to deal damage to mobs.
- Axe Mastery - Bonus Damage when using an axe.
- Critical Strike - % chance for 2x damage
- Armor Impact - Bonus damage to Armor's durability, causing it to break down faster
- Greater Impact - 25% of bonus damage to Unarmored mobs and knockback. The knockback effect will cause an explosion sound/animation to play and the words 'struck with great force' to appear in your chat.
Right click ability: Skull Splitter- Area of Effect for 1/2 damage to mobs around the main target. Leveling up increases how long this effect lasts
How to level: Use your Sword to deal damage to mobs.
- Counter Attack - % chance to Reflect 50% damage back at enemies when you are struck while blocking.
- Bleed - Causes enemies to slowly bleed out, taking damage over time (DoT-1/2 heart of damage every tick). Increasing you level increases both how long the effect lasts and the % chance of causing bleed
Right click ability: Serrated Strikes- AoE does a bonus 25% damage and a 5 sec bleed.
How to level: Use wild animals to to deal damage to mobs OR tame wild wolves, ocelots and horses.
- Beast Lore - click on a tamed animal with a bone to learn more about it.
- Gore - % chance that your wolves will inflict the bleed status (see the Swords section for more info).
- Sharpened Claws - Wolves do bonus damage (unlocks at level 100)
- Thick Fur - Wolves take less damage (Unlocks at 25)
- Shock Proof - Wolves take less damage from explosions (Unlocks at 50)
- Fast Food Service - Wolves have a chance to heal themselves when they attack (Unlocks at 5)
- Holy Hound - Wolves are healed by negative potion effects like poison (Unlocks at 75)
- Call of the Wild - Summons an animal- see the right click ability for more info
Right click ability: None. However with Call of the Wild, holding crouch (Shift) + Left clicking on the ground with the correct items will summon a wolf (10 bones), horse(10 apples),or ocelot (10 raw fish) to you for a short time. Be aware that the summoning items will be consumed in this process. Summoned animals de-spawn after a short period, and you can't have a tamed/summoned animal within 1 chunk of you for it to work. Summoned animals can be breed in the same way as normal tamed animals.
How to level: Use your bare hands on mobs. Note: using anything else in your hand will not work- your hand must be empty
- Iron Arm Style - Increase the damage you do bare handed- make your fists work like Diamond Swords! User results may vary- damage bonus dependent on unarmed level
- Arrow Deflect - Do you hate skeletons? This skill gives you a % chance of deflecting arrows shot at you, and a smaller chance of sending it right back at their stupid skeleton faces.
Right click ability: Berserk- Do an extra 50% unarmed damage to mobs, or speed up breaking dirt/sand/gravel and other "weak" blocks. You can also trigger this then hit Stone Brick once to turn it into Cracked Stone Brick.
How to level: Take at least 1/2 heart of fall damage and survive. The more damage you take, the more XP you gain, so long as you survive. Since XP is based on damage taken Slime Blocks, Water or anything else that negates fall damage also prevents XP gain. Falling form the exact same spot over and over again during one log-in will also eventually stop working- there is a script that will eliminate XP gain from that spot until you log out if you use the same spot too many times in a row. While Ender Pearl damage is called fall damage by Minecraft, it does not count towards Acrobatics XP gain.
Using Feather Falling boots increases the height you have to fall from to receive damage to begin with, but increases the amount of XP gained per half-heart of damage. Skills:
- Roll- Gives you a chance of automatically performing a roll when you land from a fall/jump- this chance increases as you level at a rate of 1% per level all the way up to level 100. Rolls reduce fall damage by 3.5 hearts- but you gain (a reduced amount of) XP for the damage taken plus the damage that was negated by the roll. That means you can fall from a greater height to take the same amount of damage, and you would get slightly more total XP for that same amount of damage (but less total XP than you would get from a non-rolled jump at the same height).
- Graceful Roll- Hold shift while falling for a chance to perform a Graceful Roll- but you must trigger it no more than 20 blocks above impact. Like roll your chance to perform a graceful roll increases with every level in acrobatics (2% per level up to 100% at level 50). Graceful Roll negates more damage than a standard roll (7 hearts)- XP gain with Graceful Roll works exactly the same as with Roll.
- Dodge- gives you a small chance to take 1/2 damage from mobs (including creeper explosions). This chance increases as you level and maxes at 20% at level 800.
Right click ability: None. But holding Shift while falling triggers Graceful Roll (see above)
How to level: Brew Potions. Just. Brew some potions. What did you THINK you would need to do?
- Catalysis - Increases the speed of potion brewing
- Concoctions - Adds fun new potion effects/ingredients. There are 8 levels of Concoctions- you start at level one and unlock a new level every 12.5 levels (so levels 13, 25, 38, 50, etc.). Each level adds new ingredients you can use to brew fun new potions that aren't in vanilla. Try the Lily Pad from Level 0 on to get a potion of Water Breathing! You can use /alchemy ? [#] to view the full list of new potions and ingredients.
Right click ability: Nope!
How to level: Break naturally generated blocks with a shovel- specifically those blocks meant to be broken with shovels: Dirt/Gravel/Mycelium/Sand/Gravel/Clay Blocks (the soft ones, not the hard stuff in the Mesa Biome)/Soul Sand/Snow. You get no XP from player placed blocks.
- Treasure Hunter - You like treasure, yes? As your level increases you gain the chance to get random "treasure" from the blocks you break- higher levels unlock better rewards. The full list of what can be found from each block is on the Official McMMO Wiki's Excavation page. Remember to divide the skill requirement by 10 and round up to the next whole level, and ignore both the % Chance and XP reward columns as those are not accurate on Bear Nation.
Right click ability: Giga Drill Breaker- Gives your shovel a temporary speed boost and allows instant block breaking. Lasts longer at higher levels, but wears down your tool super-fast. Giga Drill breaker can cause the invisible block glitch where you will bounce off blocks that broke on your screen but didn't break server side. You can clear this glitch by tp'ing away, re-logging, or right clicking the problem blocks to make them reappear. "Torch spamming" is often the suggested method to do this to avoid triggering other McMMO abilities.
How to level: Catch Fish and other goodies with a fishing pole
- Master Angler - Catch fish faster when fishing from a boat or in an Ocean biome
- Ice Fishing - Catch fish from solid ice. Casting your rod will cause one block of ice to turn back to water
- Treasure Hunter - Like excavation you have a chance of pulling up loot instead of fish
- Magic Hunter - At higher levels the loot may also come with enchantments
- Shake - Cast your rod at a mob and steal their loot
- Fisherman's Diet - Increases the saturation you get from eating fish
Right click ability: None, all fishing is done with a right click. However do be aware all that awesome loot comes at a price- you have a chance of pulling up rotten fish (fish with a poison splash potion attached) or lit super-TNT out of the water. If you see the words something doesn't smell quite right... or BOOM TIME that's your cue to dodge.
How to level: Harvest crops (including sugar cane, cactus, cocoa, beetroot, and melons); pick flowers, mushrooms, and lily-pads; shear vines; and/or break grasses. However like with excavation, player placed blocks don't work. You have to wait until a player-placed plant has matured before you can get XP. Further, force-grown (ie plants forced to mature through bone-meal) crops yield no XP. Wild crops (such as wild jungle melons) or villager planted crops also work. Cactus and sugar cane will only give you XP for the segments not placed by players- so if you place the first segment and then let it grow to 3 high, you will only see XP for the top 2 segments- you get the same amount of XP for harvesting both at the same time as for harvesting the top and middle segments individually.
- Green Thumb - Has two different types of effects:
- When harvesting fully grown wheat/carrot/potato/warts it gives you a chance of both double drops and, if you have the right item (seeds/carrots/raw potato/nether wart) already in your inventory, a chance of auto-replanting the crop. Higher levels yield a higher chance, and yield a chance of planting crop at a later stage of growth.
- Green Thumb also gives you a chance to convert cobble and stone brick to their mossy counterpart or turn dirt to grass by right clicking them with seeds.
- Farmer's Diet - Like Fisherman's Diet this increases the saturation you receive when eating "grown" foods like carrots, as well as crafted options (made with your produce) such as mushroom stew, cookies and bread. At high levels becoming a vegetarian starts to make sense.
- Hylian Luck (Luck of Hyrule) - Gives you a chance at finding rupees.... wait no. But when you break certain blocks like grass, shrubs and dead plants with a sword, something good might drop.
- Shroom Thumb - Hit dirt with a mushroom for a chance to convert it to mycelium. You must have both red and brown mushrooms in your inventory to do this, and each attempt will consume a mushroom of the type you don't have selected currently.
- Double Drop- As the name implies, you have a chance (that increases with level) to get bonus drops when you harvest/break plants.
Right click ability: Green Terra- This is activated while holding a Hoe. It gives you a chance for 3x drops and makes Green Thumb's block conversion effect succeed 100% of the time as long as you have the seed in your inventory.
How to level: Do I really need to explain this? Mine stuff (like stone and ore)! With a pickaxe!
- Double Drop Chance - If you can't figure this out by this point, I don't think this guide can help you. This only works on ores, so you won't get double the cobble or granite taking up space in your inventory.
Right click ability: Super Breaker! Like Giga Drill this gives a speed and efficiency boost to your pickaxe for a short period. Your double drop chance becomes a triple drop chance while this is active. However, if your pick breaks while using this (which it might because its durability decreases more than normal) you will take damage, so keep an eye on your tools. And like Giga Drill, you may have to deal with invisible blocks as a result. Just re-log, tp away, or right click to make the blocks reappear. Very useful for mining but beware of unleashing fiery death on yourself.
How to level: Repair tools and armor with an McMMO anvil (NOT a Vanilla Anvil). The McMMO Anvil is an iron block placed directly on the ground.
- Repair - Right click the item you wish to repair on the anvil with the correct material in your inventory. For example to repair iron tools and armor you need iron ingots. Bows and Fishing Poles can be repaired with string. Does not require vanilla XP levels.
- Repair Mastery - Increases how much durability you repair per item, and increases as you level. A high repair mastery decreases the cost of repairs by allowing you to do more with less.
- Super Repair - Gives a small chance of getting double the normal durability repaired- indicated by the chat message that felt easier than normal
- Diamond Repair - Allows for the repair of diamond tools and armor, starting at level 5
- Arcane Forging - Typically enchantments are lost when using the McMMO anvil, but arcane forging allows for the possibility that enchanted goods will keep either their current enchantment or downgraded enchantments when repaired. every 12.5 levels increases your chance to keep enchantments, and reduces the probability that those enchantments will be downgraded.
Right click ability: Repair is a right click skill. All of it.
How to level: Uh. Does this need an explanation? Break log blocks with an axe. You get no XP from player placed blocks. However if you plant a tree, once the tree matures you get XP.
- Leaf Blower - Starting at level 10 leaf blocks will break instantly when hit with an axe.
- Double Drops - Like with mining this gives you a chance of getting two logs at once.
Right click ability: Tree Feller: With this active break a block on a tree (or giant mushroom) to cause it and every connected block above it to break at once. This will instantly drop the durability of your axe by the total number of blocks. Be warned if you axe does not have enough durability to do this, it will shatter, damaging you and only breaking the single block. The length of tree feller and the size of tree it can break will increase with level- at low level you may be told that some trees are just too big. Regular trees will yield the exact same amount of XP as they normally would, but large trees (2x2) will actually yield less than normal XP.
Child skills are those you cannot level directly.
How to level: Average of your Repair and Fishing Skills, rounded down. If you have 50 levels of Repair and 9 levels in Fishing, you only have 29 levels in Salvage, not 30. Like Repair, Salvage is used with a Salvage anvil- a Gold block.
- Salvage - right click fully repaired items on the salvage anvil to get back a portion of the materials (except for sticks) used to craft the item- at higher levels you may get all of your ore back
- Advanced Salvage - Starting at level 62 you can use Salvage on damaged items as well. You will get less material back depending on how badly the item is damaged.
- Arcane Salvage - Like Arcane Repair this gives you a chance to preserve enchantments on items. In this case you get a small chance at getting books holding the item's current enchantments. These books may be exactly the same as the current enchants or downgraded- the higher your level the better chance of keeping enchantments.
Right click ability: Salvage is a right click ability.
How to level:Average of your Repair and Mining Skills.
- Fuel Efficiency - When smelting ores in a furnace (iron/gold) the burn time on your fuel will increase, smelting more ore with less fuel
- Second Smelt - The Double Drop of Smelting, this gives you a chance to get bonus smelted ore, getting more ingots out of your furnace than the amount of raw ore you put in.
- Vanilla XP Boost - Get extra experience orbs from smelting.
- Flux Mining - Give you a level-dependent chance that when you mine gold/iron ore that it will smelt itself- yielding ingots instead of ore blocks.
Right click ability: Nope. Not a One.
How to level: Sum of you Primary Stats. Has no use beyond bragging rights for /mctop
- Annoy others - Brag about having the highest Power Level. Go on, try it, see what you get.
Right click ability: None
Resetting your Skill Levels
If you level up any of your skills to the cap (level 100), you can reset it back to 0 for a reward by using /mcmmoreset.
Done with this guide? Head back to the Main Page.